FAMILY, FRIENDS AND FOOLS
The acronym FFF stands for Family, Friends and Fools, i.e. Family, Friends and People close to the entrepreneur. They are, on many occasions, the first resource of the small entrepreneur who wants to make a breakthrough.
ADVANTAGES OF FFF FINANCING
- There are no repayment deadlines or interest. Those closest to the entrepreneur are not looking for an economic benefit with their contribution, so they will not ask for interest or rigid deadlines for the repayment of the money. An "oxygen balloon" that will come in handy for the new project. In fact, family members usually provide non-refundable backing.
- Easy to convince. The entrepreneur does not need, in principle, much effort to convince family and friends to invest in his project. The emotional bond helps.
- Entrepreneur retains full independence. To develop it to their liking (at least, until they seek new financial or logistical support in the form of business incubators).
DISADVANTAGES OF FFF FINANCING
- Money breaks friendships. It is an established fact that many friendships, and even families, have broken up because of financial disagreements. If the entrepreneur does not meet his obligations to family and friends within the stipulated period, the first frictions may begin to emerge. In this case, it is better that the entrepreneur, when asking for money, operates with realistic prospects and does not promise impossible loan repayments.
- The amounts to be lent are usually small. With this form of financing, it is unusual to be able to borrow large sums of money. The entrepreneur may find it easier to borrow from family and friends, but it will be for a smaller amount than if he/she had resorted to professional specialised institutions.
- Bad business decisions. Fools may be impulsive and easy to convince to invest in your business but, by the same token, they may also believe they have the right to make decisions in your business. As non-experts, they can become an obstacle that interferes with the overall project.
Just behind the entrepreneurs are friends, family, and people close to the circle of the founders. This investment will contribute to making the equity model more credible. This money should be used to finance the development of the product and to create a prototype that can be validated in the market.
"Family, friends, and fools (FFF) is your first round of potential investors who might be interested in funding a new venture. These investors are usually people close to the entrepreneur, such as family, friends and acquaintances, who are willing to invest in the business because of their personal relationship with the entrepreneur. Although the term "fools" is used in the acronym FFF, these investors are not necessarily fools, but may be people who are willing to take a financial risk and believe in the potential of the start-up.
Tips for financing a start-up using FFF:
- Be transparent: When seeking FFF investors, be transparent about the risks and opportunities of your start-up. Make sure investors understand the profit potential, but also the potential risks. Treat FFF investors like any other investor: Although FFF investors are close friends and family, it is important to treat them with professionalism and to present a sound and well-founded business plan.
- Set clear boundaries: ensure that your FFF investors understand the limits of their investment, including the percentage of ownership and the terms of the investment. Don't create high expectations of profitability!
- Be grateful: be sure to thank your FFF investors for their support and, if possible, offer them a fair reward for their investment.
Financing a startup through FFF can be a viable option for entrepreneurs seeking seed funding. It is important to be transparent and professional with FFF investors, set clear boundaries and be grateful for their support.
APPLY THIS TIP TO YOUR PROJECT
- 💻 PRACTICE with an expert in the next practical webinar.
- 🔎 CONSULT more related TIPs with this same theme.
- 📖 AMPLIA your knowledge by downloading this EBOOK.
THINK ABOUT YOU
- 🚀 IMPULSA your company in the next acceleration programme, ¡book your place now!
- 🥁 PRACTICE with your project in this practical webinar, ¡apply for your place!
- 🌐 CONTACT with other entrepreneurs and companies, ¡register and take part in the next Networking!
THINK ABOUT HELPING OTHERS
We are sorry you did not find it useful.
Help us improve this TIP!
Leave us a comment and tell us how you would improve this TIP